ASDAN’s Certificate of Personal Effectiveness(CoPE) demonstrates capability in six underpinning skills. Learners develop these vital skills for learning, employment and life through the personal challenges that make up the CoPE curriculum.
Who is it for?
CoPE Level 3 is primarily intended for students in post-16 education and can accredit the wider activities undertaken as part of the post-16 experience, particularly in preparation for higher education and working life.
CoPE Level 3 requirements
Students produce a portfolio of evidence, which should demonstrate competence in the six CoPE skills and complete 80 hours of challenges.
The impact of the pursuit of CoPE
《Building a culture of achievement》 The whole report >>
--The impact of the pursuit of CoPE (the Certificate of Personal Effectiveness) on GCSE attainment and engagement in learning. Research report undertaken by the University of the West of England
1. Improved attainment at GCSE‘Like-for-like’ comparison between 200 sets of paired random individuals. Attainment of five GCSEs A* to C including English and maths: Attainment in GCSE A* to C English:
2. Positive impact on other pupil groupsCoPE appears to have a stronger impact among those young people with low KS3 attainment, special educational needs, from black and minority ethnic communities and those who are eligible for free school meals.
2.1 CoPE mitigates the underachievement of individuals with serious educational challenges, while markedly improving the achievement of those without such challenges.
2.2 CoPE is neither vocational nor academic in any normal characterisation of those categories: it is instead a skills-based process that is compatible with either vocational or academic qualifications or combinations of the two… it is demonstrably supportive of (pupils’) learning… also makes a tangible contribution to their achievements in more mainstream terms.
2.3 Accounts from staff and students highlighted that particular features, namely the systematic use of Plan-Do-Review and collaborative group work provided a mode of working that young people could (and did) transfer to other subjects and other contexts.
2.4 CoPE had given many students their first taste of success and recognised achievement, and this had changed their more general orientation to study, including raised motivation and confidence.
Work Related Activities
- Following changes to UCAS points for all qualifications, CoPE Level 3 is worth 16 UCAS points for students entering higher education.
- Description of the CoPE credit conversion on the UCAS official website：
- The qualifications are approved within the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority(QCA).